Niedernburg Monastery, once Benedictine Abbey and home of the "English Ladies", is set in the heart of old town. As Benedictine Abbey, Niedernburg was declared imperial abbey by emperor Henry II. It was onwards able to act independent and "reichsunmittelbar" (imperial immediate).
The Holy Cross Church is a famous destination of hungarian guests: The tomb of Blessed Gisela, the former hungarian queen and Henry's sister, is located here. After the death of her husband King Stephen from Hungary, she joined the abbey and became abbess. The late-gothic tomb is located above the tombstone from the 11th century. Since the 15th century, the tomb and the shrine "Mariä Schutz" from 1567 are destination of numerous mainly hungarian pilgrims.
Today the monastery buildings host several girls' schools.
Tip: The monastery buildings also host the Fresco Museum that shows more than 800 year old Secco paintings.
• Monastery and church only reachable via steps
• Fresco-Museum barrier-free
• Nearest disabled parking: building Bräugasse 17
• Public handicapped lavatory in underground parking building Römerplatz 1; no seperate barrier-free WC, but spacious toilets with handgrip (entrance for a fee)
• Handicapped lavatory in Town Hall, building Rathausplatz 3 (free of charge, open door with Euro key)