Two buildings merge into each other: the three-story mansard hipped-roof building, once a ballroom, with a one-story annexe; next to it, the Redoute, a two-and-a-half-story building with an attic. Both buildings are decorated with a classicist flat plaster structure. Inside, a two-story box gallery surrounds the stalls. Garden theatre paintings with leaf garlands and arcade arches as well as a cloudy sky characterize the tiers: according to theatre scholars, a "Classicist reinterpretation of an antique amphitheatrical acting courtyard".
Built in 1645 as a ballroom for the prince-bishop, the building was converted into an opera house in 1774 and 1783, according to the plans of Johann Georg Hagenauer, it was transformed into an exclusive Classicist court stage. Remodelled several times in the 19th/20th centuries, a comprehensive general renovation was carried out from 1989 to 1991. The theatre seats 350. The Redoute was built as a connection between the theatre and the residence. On its roof were the "hanging gardens". Two representative event halls are available in the Redoute.
Inn Promenade Memorial: Since 1996, the memorial to the victims of National Socialism has stood on the Inn Promenade. The work of the artist Wolfgang Kirchmayer consists of a seven-meter high lattice tower made of rusty steel and an inscribed granite cube.
Inn bridge arch: The Inn bridge arch served as the southern city gate of Passau. From the 12th to the 18th century, it was also the bridgehead of the old wooden Inn bridge. The Innbrückgasse and the Hofstiege lead up to the Residenzplatz.
Theatre of Passau's Prince Bishop
Box office Tue. - Fri. 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
and Tue., Thur., Fri. 4 - 5:30 p.m.
and 1 hour prior to performances
For current conditions, check www.landestheater-niederbayern.de