Höllgasse has retained its basic medieval structure. Each of the densely packed multi-storey houses is a listed building and has individual features. One can see flying buttresses, front walls, and oculi, hipped and gable roofs, baroque facades and window frames that can be classified as late Baroque or late Gothic. Together with the Steiningergasse, Kleine Messergasse and Pfaffengasse, the Höllgasse forms a medieval character with numerous courtyards.
Called "Unter den Vischern" in old documents, Höllgasse later got its present name because of the strong silting up during floods. The Old High German word "hilg", which stands for "swamp", became dialectally "d'höi" and from this, the name Höllgasse derived. The houses were badly damaged in the great city fires of 1662 and 1680, but have survived the test of time. Even during the redevelopment of Passau's old town, which began in 1974, the historic building fabric was preserved.
Art mile: Höllgasse bears the nickname "artists' alley". The colourful cobblestones point the way to numerous studios and exhibition spaces.
Wilder Mann: Hotel and glass museum are located in the historic patrician house on the corner of Höllgasse and Schrottgasse. It originally consisted of four individual houses. In the corner part was the town pillory, which can still be seen today with the figures of St. Stephen and St. Nicholas.
Old City Hall: The Venetian style of the building significantly shapes Passau's cityscape.