An architectural treasure chest with Renaissance facade and interior details from Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque and Classicism: the building once consisted of four individual houses. On the 1st floor, walls of varying thickness and differences in height between rooms can be seen. Original Baroque doors with Renaissance fittings lead into the exhibition rooms. Striking are two plank-beam ceilings, which are connected only with wooden nails and wedges. The oldest part of the building with Romanesque elements is located in the cashier's area.
Probably a priest's house of the opposite Benedictine convent Niedernburg was located here. A walled-up connecting passage to the monastery and a chapel presumed to be on the first floor indicate this. In 1767, the complex came into private ownership and was converted into apartments in 1870. Architect Hanns Egon Wörlen (†2014) acquired the complex in the late 1980s and had the old room structures restored through careful restoration. The Museum of Modern Art opened in June 1990.
Café Museum: One of the best-known jazz stages in eastern Bavaria is located in the same building in the basement. A café during the day, international jazz stars on stage in the evening.
Fresco Museum: Directly opposite, in a Romanesque vestibule, there are secco paintings from the 12th century. The fresco museum is open all year round.
Dreiflüsseeck: Only a few hundred meters from the museum, the Danube, Inn and Ilz Rivers meet. The Dreiflüsseeck, the corner where all three rivers meet, rises out of the water like a ship's bow.
Museum Moderner Kunst
Tue. - Sun. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
closed on Good Friday, Christmas Eve and New Years Eve