The medieval round tower with a conical roof is perched on a rock on the banks of the Inn River. The only access is a brick bridge walkway over the Inn quay. The Schaiblingsturm has a natural stone base and three stories. Keyholes and small rectangular windows form the only sources of light. In the tower, a wooden spiral staircase leads to the top. The conical roof consists of a double collar beam roof truss with dissecting beams and sits on a wreath of oak sills.
The Schaiblingsturm was built in 1250 as a defence tower and served over the centuries as a storage tower, boat landing stage, accommodation, and event building. The tower survived both city fires intact. The name Schaiblingsturm is derived from the German word “Scheibe”, meaning "disc", for its round shape. In 2004, the tower underwent extensive renovation and regained its bright whitewash. The public has access to the tower only on rare occasions.
Inn quay: The tower is located on Passau's number one promenade. From the Dreiflüsseeck to the Marienbrücke, magnificent buildings and spectacular views line up. Opposite, high above the Innstadt district, is the Mariahilf monastery with a Baroque pilgrimage church.
City wall: From the Ortspitze to the Fünferlsteg, you are accompanied by parts of the historical, partly reconstructed, city wall.