A covered flight of steps leads to the Baroque church of St. Paul. The Corpus Christi Chapel is located in front of the church. While the colours cream and pink dominate the facade, black and gold were used inside. The dark high altar, the side altars, and the pulpit contrast with the light vaulted ceiling. The sacristy is housed in the superstructure of the neighbouring Paulus Arch, Passau's oldest city gate. The church spire was shortened by 4 meters in 1950.
St. Paul is the oldest parish church in Passau. A Romanesque church dedicated to St. Paul stood here as early as 1050. After the destruction during the city fires in 1512 and 1662, the present Baroque building was completed in 1678 under master builder Carlo Antonio Carlone. The interior decoration was completed in 1701. The high altar is decorated with the painting "Beheading of Apostle Paul" by Franz Werner Tamm. The painting "Lamentation of Christ" is by Johann Michael Rottmayr. The sparse stucco was not installed until 1909.
Paulusbogen: The oldest of Passau's five preserved city gates and once the northern access to historic Passau: Paulusbogen "separates" the Neumarkt district from the old town.
Pedestrian zone: Passau's pedestrian zone begins a few steps away. At least as varied as the many stores to be found here are the buildings of Ludwigstraße and its side streets. Many of the multi-story residential and commercial buildings are listed monuments.