The church "St. Paul" marks the entrance to Passau's old town. The baroque building sits enthroned on a rock on the northern edge of the Roman wall. The impressive building with its pink and creamy-white colours is often confused with St. Stephen's Cathedral. While the cathedral is the mother church of the eastern Danube area, St. Paul often is called the city's mother church.
Today's building stock goes back to the years from 1667 to 1678. Once the church's roof was flat. St. Paul got its spire in the 19th century and until the renovation in 1950, it was three times higher than today.
Once a city gate: the "Paulusbogen" (Paul's Archway)
The archway "Paulusbogen" is located next to the church an constitutes the oldest preserved city gate of Passau. In Roman times, it was the only entrance to town.