High above Passau the Veste Oberhaus, the former residence of the prince-bishops and one of the largest surviving castle complexes in Europe, invites visitors on a journey through the centuries. Within the historic walls of the fortification the Oberhausmuseum presents exciting exhibitions which open a window into life in a castle during the Middle Ages and shine a light on Passau’s colourful history and its importance as a centre of trade over the centuries.
Stunning history and unique panoramas
From the castle’s view point "Battery Linde" you can enjoy the unique panorama of Passau’s picturesque old town and the confluence of the city’s three rivers, the Danube, the Inn and the Ilz. Another highlight of this impressive European cultural monument is the chapel of St. George at the heart of the castle with its magnificent gothic frescos.
In the newly reopened Observation Tower, multimedia installations offer glimpses of distant eras, while a climb to the upper platform is
rewarded by unrivalled panoramic views.
For more exciting facts about the fortress...
... visit the website of Veste Oberhaus.
• Castle complex itself not accessible for the disabled
• Elevator to the New Rampart viewpoint, to Outer and Inner Bailey
• Assisting person recommended
• No disabled access to Observation Tower, exhibition rooms, St George’s Chapel and viewpoint Linde Battery
• Three steps to ticket office and the museum shop
• Public disabled parking area at the car park above the Fortress
• Shuttle bus and public bus not suitable for wheelchair users (high entry)
• No wheelchair-accessible toilet in the castle
• Public toilet with disabled access at the sports field above the castle (access with Euro key)
• Folding stools available
For further information, click here.
- Bus shuttle according to museum opening times; daily on the half hour from Town Hall Square to the Fortress and backwards (click for timetable - PDF, 40 KB)
- Show your bus ticket and get discount on museum entrance fee!
Veste Oberhaus & Oberhausmuseum
Mar. 15 - Nov. 15:
Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sat., Sun., holidays, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Dec. 25, 2023 - Jan. 6, 2024
daily 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. (closed on Dec. 31)
Mar. 15 - Nov. 15:
Mon., Thu., Fri. 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sat., Sun., holidays 10:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.