High above Passau the Veste Oberhaus, the former residence of the prince-bishops and one of the largest surviving castle complexes in Europe, invites visitors on a journey through the centuries. Within the historic walls of the fortification the Oberhausmuseum presents exciting exhibitions which open a window into life in a castle during the Middle Ages and shine a light on Passau’s colourful history and its importance as a centre of trade over the centuries.
- Fascination middle ages - earthly life
- Fascination middle ages - spiritual life
- Passau - myth and history
- Guilds and craft - the mystery of the brotherhoods
- Bohemian Forest Museum
- Hans Wimmer Collection
- Historical Apothecary
- Passau Porcelain
- Fire Museum
The Observation Tower
In the newly reopened Observation Tower, multimedia installations offer glimpses of distant eras, while a climb to the upper platform is
rewarded by unrivalled panoramic views.
For more exciting facts about the museum and the fortress...
... visit the website of Veste Oberhaus.
• Castle complex itself not accessible for the disabled
• Elevator to the New Rampart viewpoint, to Outer and Inner Bailey
• Assisting person recommended
• No disabled access to Observation Tower, exhibition rooms, St George’s Chapel and viewpoint Linde Battery
• Three steps to ticket office and the museum shop
• Public disabled parking area at the car park above the Fortress
• Shuttle bus and public bus not suitable for wheelchair users (high entry)
• No wheelchair-accessible toilet in the castle
• Public toilet with disabled access at the sports field above the castle (access with Euro key)
• Folding stools available
For further information, click here.
- Bus shuttle according to museum opening times; daily on the half hour from Town Hall Square to the Fortress and backwards (click for timetable)
- Show your bus ticket and get discount on museum entrance fee!
Veste Oberhaus & Oberhausmuseum
Mar. 15 - Nov. 15
Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sat., Sun., holidays, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Dec. 25., 2022 - Jan. 6, 2023
daily 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. (closed on Dec. 31)
|Entrance fee (incl. tower)||(Operator: City of Passau)|
|Children up to 6||free|
|Groups from 15 P.||4,00 EUR p.p.|
|School classes||2,00 EUR p.p.|